I recently had problems with one of the servers I am running Server 2008 R2 on. Everything is working on that server except I could not safe any files to the shared drive. So I logged onto the server and quickly realized that the drive was write protected. I don’t know when, how or why that happened, but the solution is fairly simple.
The steps are as follows:
- Open a command prompt (ie. Start > Run > cmd) with administrative privledges.
- Type in the command: diskpart
- Run the command: list disk
- Select the problematic disk using the following command: sel disk 2
- Enter the following command: ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY
- Exit diskpart with the command: exit
(I ran the commands above on all the disks on the server.. cycle step 4 and 5)
- This should work “out of the box” although I had to reboot the server.
That’s all folks.