After SP1 was released on WSUS, I started deploying SP1 on Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 machines yesterday. It all went very well apart for one exception, one of the Server 2008 R2 machines didn’t boot after the upgrade, just gave me the C0000034 error. This is a virtual server running on Hyper-V but that’s no excuse
Microsoft Support Tech Recommended Fix:
01. Boot into Windows Recovery and choose command prompt then run the following commands:
02. Reg load HKLM\BaseSystem C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM
03. Reg Delete “HKLM\BaseSystem\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager” /v SetupExecute
04. Reg add “HKLM\BaseSystem\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager” /v SetupExecute /t REG_MULTI_SZ
05. Reg unload HKLM\BaseSystem
06. Restart the Computer.
If above doesn’t work you should try below solutions (found here), I simplified some steps and fixed typos….
01. Reboot your computer while it’s hanging on the error.
02. When your computer starts up again, choose the option “Launch Startup Repair”
03. When the Startup repair starts, click cancel.
04. After you click cancel it will show a box. Click “Don’t Send”
05. Click the link “View advanced options for recovery and support”
06. In the new window click Command Prompt at the bottom and go to system drive.>
>>>. By default C: drive should change to D: so you type D:
>>>. Then you can type: dir to confirm that you have the correct drive
>>>. You should see the Windows and User folder etc.
07. In Command Prompt type this and press enter: %windir%\system32\notepad.exe
08. Notepad will open. In notepad go to File–>Open.
09. Change the type of files notepad views from .txt to All Files
10. Now in Notepad, go to C:\Windows\winsxs\ (or whichever drive Windows is installed on)
11. In that folder, find pending.xml and make a copy of it (Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V)
12. Now open the original pending.xml (it will load really slow because the file is huge)
13. Press Ctrl+F and search for the following exactly: 0000000000000000.cdf-ms
14. Delete the following text (yours might be a little different):
<MoveFile source=”\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames\e56db1db48d4cb0199440000b01de419._0000000000000000.cdf-ms” destination=”\SystemRoot\WinSxS\FileMaps\_0000000000000000.cdf-ms”/>
Your PC might not have all 3 sections of code (<Checkpoint>, <DeleteFile> and/or <MoveFile>). Just make sure you delete section “Checkpoint” and whatever other sections have “000000000000000.cdf-ms”. They will be right next to each other.
15. Save the file, close notepad, close command prompt, restart your computer.
Once your computer starts up, do a normal startup and the Service Pack will install some more stuff and might restart a few times and then everything should be working! For some people, it reverts everything and cancels the service pack installation.
Took me 5 minutes to get the server functional again